Develop Sea Kayak
Take yourself to the deep blue waters of the Solent and adventure now!
This course is GSK designed course and is tailored for experienced paddlers wanting to focus on skill, stamina and safety. This is our most advanced course and for many students it takes two seasons to complete. When you are ready there may be the option to complete a British Canoeing Sea Kayak Award (3* Sea) assessment.
At the beginning of the 15-week training season, you will receive sea kayaking theory. This will prepare you for going onto the sea and will look at journey planning and the use of charts.
Training will be each week, however, we are aware that it is likely you may miss some sessions (please just let us know in advance and try to minimise this as much as possible). During your training you will further advance and refine your paddling skills as you progress into a more advanced paddler.
Most Develop Sea Kayak sessions will take place on Stoke Lake however there will be opportunities for journeys and training sessions on the Solent and around the south coast. These sessions/journeys are tide and weather dependant so may need to be completed at alternative times or on a Sunday (journey information will be provided in advance via email).
From this course you will develop
- Improved Stamina
- Improved sea kayaking skills
- Improved journeying skills including group management and leadership
Pre-requests for this training course
- 14 or over at the start the training
- Have a good level of fitness (strength and stamina are elements of the training and journeys can be intense)
- Qualification - 2 Star or above (the GSK Explore Sea Kayak can provide you with this).
Included within the price of this course you will receive:
- Regular training session from our experienced coaches
- A Bespoke GSK Paddlesport Badge - collect all the badges for all the GSK courses
- Sea Kayak Award qualification is not included but GSK may be able to
facilitate the organisation of an assessment (additional fees apply)
Develop Sea Kayak Dates for 2020
14 week programme 10:30-12:00
25th April and 2nd, 9th and 16th May and 13th 20th and 27th June and 4th, 11th and 18th July 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th September 2020